On This Day In Alabama History: Children’s Hospital Was Founded

| June 17, 2019 @ 5:00 am

By Alabama NewsCenter Staff

Children’s Hospital was founded June 17, 1911, as Holy Innocents Hospital. The Episcopal Dioceses of Alabama sponsored the project under the leadership of the Rev. Carl Henckell of All Saints Episcopal Mission, the Rev. Raimundo de Ovies of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church and Dr. James Dedman, Birmingham’s medical officer.

The hospital was located in a house, and the staff eventually cared for as many as 25 patients. In 1914, the facility became Children’s Hospital. The Women’s Auxiliary organized doll bazaars to help support the hospital, until the Community Chest of Birmingham stepped in to supplement the cost of medical care provided to families.

To read the full article click here to visit the Alabama Newscenter website.

Category: ALL POSTS, Partner News Stories

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.

wp_footer(); ?>