A Rainy & Wet Midday

| May 26, 2020 @ 12:50 pm

As of 12:45 pm, we have numerous showers covering the radar across Central Alabama with about 75% of the area receiving rain at the moment. Where rain is not currently falling, skies are overcast. Temperatures were in the upper 60s to the mid-70s as of the noon round-up. Several locations were tied at 69 degrees as the cool spots including Birmingham. Troy was the warm spot at 76 degrees.

Clouds and numerous showers and maybe a few rumbles of thunder will be likely for the rest of the daylight hours across all of Central Alabama. Nothing strong or severe is expected… just some good ole rain. Afternoon highs will be in the mid to upper 70s across the area. After sunset, scattered to numerous showers and maybe a thunderstorm will continue to be possible over much of the area and likely west of I-65 and north of US-80. Lows will be in the mid to upper 60s.

Wednesday is looking to be another mostly cloudy day with scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms expected throughout the day. A few storms may become strong during the main heating of the day with gusty winds being the main threat. No organized severe weather is expected. Afternoon highs will be in the upper 70s to the mid-80s.

The forecast for the SpaceX Crew Dragon launch at the Kennedy Space Center is starting to look a little more promising as the scattered afternoon shower and thunderstorm chances have dropped to 40% at launch time which is set at 3:32 pm CDT on Wednesday afternoon. Cloud cover may be the bigger issue as there is expected to be a good bit of convective clouds in the area. NASA has given the odds of a launch without weather interruption at 60%. If the weather causes the launch to be scrubbed, the next window for launch will be on Saturday.

Category: Alabama's Weather, ALL POSTS, Spacey Stuff

About the Author ()

Scott Martin is an operational meteorologist, professional graphic artist, musician, husband, and father. Not only is Scott a member of the National Weather Association, but he is also the Central Alabama Chapter of the NWA president. Scott is also the co-founder of Racecast Weather, which provides forecasts for many racing series across the USA. He also supplies forecasts for the BassMaster Elite Series events including the BassMaster Classic.

Comments are closed.