Forget the issue with TV coverage last night… you can scroll down for my thoughts on that. I double boxed “Dancing With The Stars” simply because I did not believe we had a tornado on the ground.
The issue involves the warning process. Not all tornado warnings are alike; I think long time readers and viewers know that, and understand our point. The event last night was not in the same universe as the tornado disasters that killed many people on April 8, 1998, December 16, 2000, November 24, 2001, etc.
Last night’s situation was a QLCS (quasi linear convective system, or squall line), with potential for damaging straight line winds. Yes, within a line of storms like that you can have small, spin-up tornadoes, but they rarely last more than a few minutes, and are difficult, if not impossible to warn for in most cases. Instead of trying to focus people on small points along the line with a tornado warning, it takes away from the main message that the ENTIRE line is dangerous and capable of producing straight line wind damage. And, yes, there was lots of wind damage.
MY POSITION: Forget the spin-ups. The state of the science is not good enough to adequately warn for these short lived tornadoes, that quite frankly is not all that significant in relationship to the potential for widespread straight line damage from the line of storms. Blanket the line with severe thunderstorm warnings, and make it perfectly clear that small spin up tornadoes are possible within the line.
Last night the NWS in Birmingham took the “whack a mole” approach and tried to warn for spin-ups. The result was a rash of tornado warnings with polygons situated multiple times in the same county and lots of confusion. Below is the SPC storm reports graphic from yesterday and last night…
If you look hard enough, I am sure you will find evidence of damage from a spin-up tornado today, but that graphic clearly tells the story. It was a straight line wind event.
It is my belief that if you warn over and over and over for small spin-ups, when the big events come, like April 8, 1998, nobody will listen because they are so complacent. And, the tornado warnings that come from events last night simply rise the FAR (false alarm ratio). The tornado warning FAR is in the 80 percent range the last time I checked, and in my opinion it is simply too high.
Please understand I have no issue with the NWS… I have talked with my friend Jim Stefkovich, probably the best MIC (Meteorologist In Charge) of a local NWS office in the nation, many times about this, and we simply choose to disagree. Jim not only serves broadcasters, but also the local emergency management community as well, who seem to prefer the warnings for spin-ups. He is doing his job, and I love Jim’s passion and work ethic. Just a difference of opinion on handling these kind of severe weather situations.
BOTTOM LINE: It honestly doesn’t matter what I think, what the emergency management community thinks, or the NWS thinks. It matters what YOU think.
*Should the NWS issue a tornado warning every time they think there might be a small, short lived spin-up tornado a long a line of storms?
*Or, should a situation like last night be handled with severe thunderstorm warnings, with the clear wording that a spin-up is possible?
What say you?
Powered by Facebook Comments
About the Author (Author Profile)James Spann is one of the most recognized and trusted television meteorologists in the industry. He holds the AMS CCM designation and television seals from the AMS and NWA. He is a past winner of the Broadcast Meteorologist of the Year from both professional organizations.
Sites That Link to this Post
- oakley venta en l?nea chile patronato | September 8, 2016
- occhiali Ray Ban Highstreet RB4147 007 | September 8, 2016
- wholesale oakley sunglasses from china | September 8, 2016
- oakley radar 3002 | September 8, 2016
- sac longchamp 15 euros 2014 | September 9, 2016
- gafas ray ban para hombre ecuador | September 9, 2016
- oakley eyepatch 2 pris 3g | September 9, 2016
- oakley frogskins verdi | September 9, 2016
- timberland homme moins de 100 euro zloty | September 10, 2016
- lunettes de soleil ray ban optic 2000 | September 10, 2016
- portefeuille homme longchamp pas cher | September 10, 2016
- nike air mag x | September 10, 2016
- vans rebajas mujer | September 10, 2016
- ray ban aviator salg 2015 | September 10, 2016
- tiendas vans barcelona espa?a 2014 | September 11, 2016
- lunettes oakley fives squared 60 | September 11, 2016
- nike air span | September 11, 2016
- oakley goggles dark grey lens | September 11, 2016
- oakley holbrook pas cher | September 11, 2016
- RAY-BAN RB9507 occhiali Ray Ban Aviator P09 | September 11, 2016
- nike air max 5 | September 11, 2016
- oakley frogskins soft touch 6.0 | September 11, 2016
- kanye west for adidas originals | September 12, 2016
- nike air max 2014 uomo | September 12, 2016
- Ray Ban Eyeglasses RX Wayfarer Limited Editions RB017 | September 12, 2016
- nike air max 1 47 | September 13, 2016
- oakley forhandler k?benhavn 2015 september | September 13, 2016
- nike free run homme soldes | September 13, 2016
- adidas originals tubular runner stone | September 14, 2016
- nike air force 1 green uk | September 14, 2016
- lunette de soleil oakley de vue ulg | September 14, 2016
- oakley briller dame 2016 | September 14, 2016
- oakley occhiali a bari | September 14, 2016
- ray ban briller bl? | September 14, 2016
- sac longchamp pliage vert pomme maroc | September 14, 2016
- lunettes ray-ban cats 5000 rb4125 - ecaille | September 14, 2016
- salg nike free run xxl | September 15, 2016
- oakley womens titanium glasses | September 15, 2016
- danmark nike air max n?stved | September 15, 2016
- club de golf nike pas cher | September 15, 2016
- ray ban zonnebril aviator 3025 62mm | September 16, 2016
- ray ban shooter orange tr?jer | September 16, 2016
- nike air max femme noir et orange | September 16, 2016
- timberland splitrock 2 noir pas cher | September 18, 2016
- ?????? | September 19, 2016
- ????? | September 19, 2016
- ????? | September 19, 2016