These images were sent in by a number of our readers/viewers at midday… the first shot below is from the Alabama Air National Guard facility at the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport…
This one is from I-65…
Below is the view from one of the taller buildings in downtown Birmingham…
Another one from downtown…
Another image from an office in downtown Birmingham…
This video is from that same office building…
The video below is from the Red Mountain Expressway…
From the Cloud Appreciation Society… The breaking waveforms of Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds are the result of shearing winds up at cloud level. A particular type of turbulence can develop in a layer of cirrus cloud, which happens to form below an inversion between air currents of differing speeds and/or directions. Sea waves break as their bases are slowed down upon reaching shallow water and their crests surge ahead. Cloud waves break in the same way: when their crests are pushed ahead of their troughs by the difference in air currents.
Just another reminder the weather around here is rarely “boring”….
Powered by Facebook Comments
Category: Alabama's Weather
About the Author (Author Profile)James Spann is one of the most recognized and trusted television meteorologists in the industry. He holds the AMS CCM designation and television seals from the AMS and NWA. He is a past winner of the Broadcast Meteorologist of the Year from both professional organizations.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Obviously, The Lord is With The Crimson Tide | The Site That Should Not Be | December 16, 2011
- Vemos olas por todos lados… | December 18, 2011
- BISON FUTÉ – Un tsunami de nuages dans le ciel d’Alabama | Big Browser | December 20, 2011
- Weak Winter (so far) « Greg's Weather Blog | December 29, 2011
- Surf dans les nuages « Physique de tous les jours | January 2, 2012
- Impresionantes olas de nubes sobre Birmingham | January 3, 2012
- Kelvin Helmholtz Clouds Hit the Headlines | The Cloud Appreciation Society | March 28, 2012
- Strange Tsunami Wave Clouds Over Birmingham, Alabama (Video) | mujeresdejuarez.org | May 30, 2015
- girls | October 9, 2015
- Strange Tsunami Wave Clouds Over Birmingham, Alabama (Video) | Cost-a24.info | March 3, 2016